NDY5-NjA2-Nzgx-MjQ1-MzM5-NjE1?bWVn-YWxp-bms=

ARTISTIC AND ALTRUISTIC ATTITUDE BUILDS HIGH ALTITUDE

ARTISTIC AND ALTRUISTIC ATTITUDE BUILDS HIGH ALTITUDE

(Exciting experiences in a doctor’s chamber)

“More than your aptitude it is your attitude that builds your altitude,” is a popular adage which has a lot of truth in it. Its wisdom is universal, eternal, practicable, workable, and relevant to every human being regardless of our walls and obstacles, and thorns and thistles of life. Lord Anukul Chandra said, “We don’t go to heaven, but bring the heaven down to the earth.” We can see the reflection of this truth in the lives of some people who cultivate Right Attitude coupled with altruism. They are the people who recreate the world and make history. Amidst the grating roar of the pebbles on the earth’s shore of man’s selfishness, they are the beings who beside their dedicated services to mankind, electrifies their spirit, kindles new light and unfolds OASIS of hopes before them. They are the salt of the earth. Dr. Nilratan Sarkar, an eminent dental surgeon, Tufanganj, under Cooch Behar district of West Bengal, is one of them. This write up is expression of my emotion that has been inspired by the doctor’s novelty and nobility of his art of work, attitude and living. 

In spite of our knowledge of the height and might of the Mt. Everest, we do not experience the true bliss and ecstasy of it unless and until we touch it. In the like manner, I could experience the bliss of the   sublimity of Dr. Nilratan Sarkar only when I was blessed to visit him last month and had a close interaction, though his name and fame has been known to me for decades. During my first visit to him, excited by the stimulating ambience of his chamber I remarked: “Doctor, I am feeling the ecstasy of watching a super-hit movie acted by late Uttam Kumar, the greatest Bengali film star.”It was the first time in my sixty years when I felt so ignited and exhilarated in a doctor’s chamber to unfold my heart so freely to a doctor. My spirit was at the peak by the beauty and divinity of the entire environment architected by the doctor. To visit him for the third time, I carried with me a newspaper and a copy of THE GOLDEN TREASURY of the best songs and lyrical poems in the English language as my companions in order to rid myself of the boredom for waiting in the long queue of patients. I enjoyed an hour in the waiting room with the ‘The Statesman’. Then I was called into the doctor’s main chamber, where realizing further delay I opened my poetry book to enjoy some poems. But instantly a flash of thought illumined me. I was awakened that the ambience of the doctor’s chamber was a greater book for me to read and relish at that moment than the book I had in my hand. So leaving the book aside, I fixed my eyes on the beauty of the doctor’s work and the nourishing aura of the chamber till my turn came to receive his holy touch. When I came out of the chamber, I was a new man, renewed and electrified. A great bonus in addition to the dental service!

On my fourth visit, Wednesday 28 February 2018, instead of travelling by bus, I rode bi-cycle in order to experience a closer touch with the Nature. Surprised, the doctor asked me why I had opted to travel such a long distance ( about 40 km to and fro) by cycle. I answered: “In my every journey to you, Mother Nature extended her embracing hands towards me but I failed to reciprocate the gesture as I was in a bus or car. So this time I cycled in order to honour the Mother’s love.” Touched by my feelings and emotion, Dr. walked into his living room and came back with a superbly framed gorgeous piece of painting on Nature and handed to me with the compliment: “ You are the most worthy person for this gift.” It is a painting of the Olive Tree wood in Moreno Garden by the renowned artist Claude Monet. I was awestruck with the doctor’s love for Nature and love for humanity.  Next he asked his assistant to bring tea and snack from his house. The doctor served me the snacks with his own hand. I relished the love-laden refreshment with inexpressible joy and zeal. When I was coming out of the chamber on completion of my dental service, the doctor followed me out of his chamber saying: “ I want to see your bi-cycle.” He kept gazing at me till I got ready to ride my bi-cycle back home. He waved his holy hand to radiate his love and good will. I was so much touched by his profound love that my eyes became heavy with tears. I realized God has expressed Himself the best and the most through selfless love and devotion to services to mankind.   


I believe such magnetic power every human being is endowed with because God wants man to transform this world into heaven. If we have the willingness, each one of us can create heaven in our respective life and work field whatever may be our job, position or family or social background. To throw light on this truth, Dr. Martin Luther king Jr. said: If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the street as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say: “Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” The doctor is a shining example of this superb philosophy. The height of his compassion towards the patients, sanctity and liveliness of the chamber, shower of his honour and dignity to the patients, especially to the women; and his sweet temperament and humorous mood is indescribable. In a nut shell, his chamber is like a power house to electrify and exhilarate the visitors.

Though sixty eight, he looks like a glowing youth of forty. In spite of his strenuous services to dozens of patients daily, he is amazingly dynamic, relaxed, fresh, and full of vigour and enthusiasm. This is the magic of sublime attitude nourished by intense love and devotion to the service to humanity and a fiery spirit of altruism. To him, every visitor is his family member, and so goes on enquiring about the well-being of the patients whom he has not met for long. By the magnificent service environment every patient and visitor is sure to be renewed and re-energized as I have been. He is an epitome of the message: Service to humanity injected with love and devotion is the greatest worship to God. The doctor is a vast store of positivity which is communicable. Dr. Nilratan Sarkar is a great gift of God for the mankind to expand and elevate our life.

May God bless him!

Kindly refrain from spamming or posting inappropriate messages, as such behavior may be traced through your IP address, leading to potential legal consequences. We value constructive and respectful comments. Feel free to share your thoughts, and let's foster a positive and engaging community together.

0 Comments